Monday, May 20, 2013

My Trip to the Dollar Store

You might think that a dedicated reduce/re-use/recycle gal like me would absolutely HATE the wretched Dollar Store. You would be wrong!

Yes, yes, I do truly loathe the aisles full of plastic flowers and cheap, nasty plastic toys that will break after one use. I hate that much of the food that they sell is so low quality, and so processed that it scarcely resembles actual food. I shudder at the thought of the chemicals that are in their cheapo cleaning products and personal care items.

But despite all of that, there are a few items available at most Dollar Stores are enjoyable.... and so periodically, off I go. Yesterday was one of those days.

1. Greeting Cards. Even though Facebooked condolences and birthday wishes are now the norm, sometimes I find myself needing a proper paper card.

Most cards at the Dollar Store are 2 for $1. And cards at Target can be as much as $5. A card is a card is a card--why pay more if you don't have to? I really don't understand how Hallmark is still in business now that 50 cent greeting cards are so readily available.


2. Fertilizer Spikes. Organic. Made in USA. One dollar. Swoon alert! Sigh... have I died and gone to heaven? I have no idea if they will help my sad, sad melon plant... but who cares? This hits all my buttons.



3. Bottles for canning. Or would they be cans for canning? Or bottles for bottling? In any event, these are sold at the Dollar Tree Store. If I spike the Japanese cucumbers in my garden with organic fertilizer spikes and they really take off, we might just have to make some pickles this summer.

And they're Made in USA, another bonus. I wish I knew where in the USA, though. I don't want to get excited only to find out that they were made in the Northern Mariana Islands, a U.S. Commonwealth that is somehow not subject to the US' workplace rules.




4. Tin foil pans. A few times a year I need to make a big vat of something--pasta, salad, chicken, etc. for a school event. I admit it--on those occasions I like using a disposable container. I don't have a lot of storage in my kitchen to hold containers that are used so infrequently. So... hello Dollar Store! The selection is great.



5. Vinegar. Yeah, I know, you can buy vinegar all over the place. What's so special about Dollar Store vinegar? Well, to keep it priced at a buck, it comes in a reasonable size. And it's affordable, and it's not Costco (which overwhelms me and is a story for another post).

I use a lot of vinegar. We use it to keep things smelling good in our washer. It is my primary cleaning fluid. I also mix it with soap and water to kill weeds (which have the audacity to keep growing back... grrrrr).



How about you? Are you a Dollar Store lover or loather?

No comments:

Post a Comment