Monday, April 29, 2013

What Not to Buy at Thrift Stores, Pt. 2

Cribs and Mattresses


I will start by saying that I don't recall ever seeing a crib or mattress for sale at Thrifftown. Mattresses are on the verboten list because of the risk of bed bugs. Bed bugs are serious business. They have the ability to make your life and your home a living hell. Thrift store proprietors don't want to have anything to do with mattresses, I'm sure. Plus, they take up a ton of space.



But there are plenty of second-hand mattresses available on Craigslist. I'm sure they sell... otherwise people would stop listing them. It pains me to think of perfectly good mattresses going to the landfill because of the fear of bedbugs (as opposed to actual bedbugs). You know how you can take a car to the mechanic for an inspection before you purchase it, to make sure there's nothing terribly wrong with it? I think you can do that with mattresses now. It might not be worth it for a cheap mattress, but if you're going for a high-end, organic king-size mattress off of Craigslist, it could be worthwhile.


I don't see many cribs for sale in thrift stores, but have in consignment stores. Same difference in terms of the items being second-hand. We bought a crib from a neighbor. It worked great, but after awhile something happened and the side no longer went down. When we were done with it, we gave it away on Craiglist; the recipient was very appreciative. I say, proceed with caution.


Helmets

Surprise, surprise, I tend to agree with this one. Bedbugs are ghastly, but eventually taken care of. Head injuries are forever. I think you're more likely to get lice from a helmet than a stuffed animal, because the soft inside pieces of a helmet are difficult to launder.

Socks and Underwear

No. Folks, I have my limits. And besides, do either hold up well enough to even make it to the thrift store?

No comments:

Post a Comment